Whitehaven Beach, Whitsundays
Founded by staff Commander EP Bedwell in 1879, the famous Whitehaven Beach is located on Whitsunday Island, which is part of the Cumberland Island group in the region.
It is located some 27 kilometres from the Airlie Beach mainland, continues to be an award-winning beach in not only Australia but the south Pacific region every year.
Not only are this prestigious awards presented by renowned bodies including TripAdvisor and CNN, they also expose the Whitsundays to a global audience and present the region as a world-class destination.
Presently, Whitehaven Beach is a bucket-list destination for many avid travellers with countless people making the journey to the Whitsundays annually to witness the beach in all of its glory.
Whitehaven Beach stretches seven kilometres in length, and is made special by its glorious white ‘silica’ sand which is created through a recurring current over millions of years.
The 98 per cent pure white sand is complimented with the lapping aqua coloured water of the Coral Sea and a green, tropical backdrop of the island.
At low tide the sand actually creates a ‘swirl’ shape through the water and this can be viewed at the equally famous Hill Inlet Lookout point accessed at the northern end of the island and is a short walk through bushland.
Did you know?
- Silica sand does not retain heat, which means you can walk on the beach at all times of the day
- The sand is so pure, it can get into and damage electronic equipment
- The sand is so fine it squeaks when you walk on it
- There are little if any rocks on Whitehaven Beach
- The silica sand will clean jewellery
- Whitehaven Beach continues to be one of the most photographed beaches in Australia
How to see it?
- Almost every day and overnight tour visits Whitehaven Beach and Hill Inlet Lookout (check tour itinerary)
- Private boat (check moorings and access points prior)
- Camp overnight (permits and restrictions apply)
- Scenic Flight
- Best Beach in Australia – 2016 TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Awards
- Best Beach in South Pacific - 2016 TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Awards
- Best Beach in the South Pacific - 2015 TripAdvisor Travellers' Choice Awards